Monday 29 November 2021

2021 Jump-start - LVL 1 Physical Education - Renegade Hockey Reflection

Every year right at the end (the last two weeks of academic schooling), when the seniors go for exam leave, our year 9's and 10's will jump up a year (therefore Jump-start). So we have gotten our timetable for next year, so we can get a bit of a taste of what it will be like next year. And for the past couple of weeks we have started in our next years classes.

For my LVL 1 Physical Education class we have been playing and learning about Renegade Hockey, and here is one of my reflections .




For this morning's lesson I think that I gave a 5/5 for effort and participation, because I feel that I gave it my all and tried my best. For most of the lesson’s game time this morning,  I was one of the keepers (there were two keepers just letting you know) and having it being the first time that we’ve played with two goals, what’s even more confusing was having two balls. So being the keeper of one of the goals you had to keep track of where both of the two balls were at all times. Which honestly doesn’t sound that hard, but it's a lot more difficult when you're actually playing. 

Right at the end of the lesson, I swapped out for one of my teammates, so I could have a go on offence and just as we were about to pack up I dribbled the ball up the court and had a shot at one of the two goals, and to my surprise it actually went into the goal. I'm still quite amazed at that.




A factor that I think influenced my participation, I think probably the biggest factor was that I have never really played Renegade Hockey before, and me being me, I really like trying new things, especially if those new things are new sports. When I play some sports, I like to semi-perfect them. So if anyone was to ever ask, “have you ever heard of, or played Renegade Hockey.” I can say to them, that. Yes, I have played Renegade Hockey, and I'm quite good at the game. 

It’s those kinds of things that really motivate me, knowing that I have accomplished certain skills (even if they are quite basic skills, like knowing how to dribble the ball and how to control it etc.), it makes me feel more, knowledgeable. 




What do I do to contribute to my team? I realise that sometimes a team can take a while to learn how to properly play together as a whole. So what I try to do is, I try to give little pointers, (whether they are in my team or not), like if I was to see that someone was holding their hands on the Hockey Stick to high, I’d point it out so they know to put their hands a bit lower on the Hockey Stick, and just small things like that. 

Another thing is when we have team talks I also try to suggest that people should communicate and spread out and pass a bit more. If they ever listen to me, I have no clue. But I mean at least I try, right? 




Something I really enjoyed about this lesson was the fact that we pretty much got straight into a game. First we had a little talk about homework and then we did a drill or two. Then after we had finished the drill we got straight into the game.


Another thing that I have enjoyed over the past lessons that we have had with Whaea Ruth, is the way that she teaches. She would get us into pairs with one of our classmates, and one by one we would go up and she would teach us a drill, one drill at a time. Then the pair that was just taught the drill by Whaea Ruth, would go back to their peer and teach them what they just learnt. 

I reckon that this is an absolutely amazing way to be teaching us, because we have to know how to explain it to our pair, so therefore we have to pay heaps of attention to all the details and watch how she does it.


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Ethan
    One of the resons I enjoy reading your reflections (and this post) is that you inject your writing with personality. Your wry humor and the way you view your experiences are unique and entertaining. I also like that you structure your writing into paragraphs which helps me follow your shift to a new group of ideas/topic. Finally, thank you for letting me know you enjoy peer coaching as a means to learn and that you a learning way more than physical skills when you participate in peer coaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp... Um great reflection Ethan!!. It sounded like you had so much fun being my partner for a lesson Lmaooo!!. Hope you have a good weekend..

    ReplyDelete